Create a feast to Celebrate the year of the Dragon.
Chongqing Mala Chicken also known Laziji or firecracker chicken is a dish of Sichuan cuisine. Hot and full of strong aroma made with authentic ingredients, it’s the perfect party meal.
Check out the recipe below to find out how to make it at home...
🔸 4 x chicken thighs
🔸 125g of Lao Gan Ma Crispy chilli in oil
🔸 50g of Khanum Minced ginger puree.
🔸 50g of Khanum garlic puree
🔸 1 bunch of spring onions
🔸 3 tblsp of Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil
🔸 1 tblsp of Khanum Sesame seeds
🔸 1 heaped tbsp spoon of corn flour
🔸 35 mil of Lee Kum Kee Chinese marinade
🔸 35 mil of Golden Swan Shaoxing Cooking wine
Pickled cucumber salad
🔸 1 x Cucumber
🔸 60g castor sugar
🔸 60 mil of white wine vinegar
🔸 120 mil of water
🔸 50g watercress - Optional
🔸 1/2 red onion - optional
🔸 200g Yeo’s Rice Vermicelli noodles
🔸 3tblsp of Kikkoman soy sauce.
- Dice the chicken thighs into the chunks. Add them to a bowl with the cooking wine, cornflour and Chinese marinade, mix well, cover with cling film and chill for at least 30 mins.
- Slice the spring onions on an angle and keep the white and green separate.
- Add a tbsp of sesame oil to a hot work and fry the chicken in batches until cooked through and drain on the kitchen towel. Cooking in batches will keep the chicken crisp and browned evenly.
- Once all chicken is cooked and drained, lower the heat off the wok and add the chilli oil, garlic, ginger and the white part of the spring onion and gently cook for 2 mins.
- Add the chicken back into the pan and toss in the sauce, finish with the green of the spring onion and sesame seeds.
- Take the noodles and run under water to soften.
- Just before serving, pour boiling water from the kettle and let it stand for 2 mins.
- Drain and add 3 tbsp of soya sauce and toss.
- Peel the cucumber lengthwise creating ribbons. Keep rotating the cucumber to get as many ribbons as possible.
- In a wok add the sugar, white wine vinegar and water and bring to the boil.
- Pour the pickle liquid over the cucumber ribbons and allow to cool naturally.
- Once cooled add the cucumber ribbons, watercress and the finely sliced red onion and toss together.
Recipe by Chef Adam Faccini : Instagram @chefadamfaccini